Thursday 7 April 2011

Garage band

GarageBand
(class)
I have been using a Mac for two years now. I have always seen a little icon in my tool bar that said: Garageband. I always wondered how I could use it. One day, my friend bought me a guitar and told me that I could learn how to play guitar with garage band. Learning how to play an instrument with my computer? Madness. That is what I thought at first...

When I actually sat down with my guitar in front of my computer listening attentively to what my teacher/computer was telling me to do, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was a great way to learn! They take you steps by steps and it is so simple.

When I told my friends how wonderful GarageBand was, they were not surprised. Some of them even used GarageBand during their Prac to teach children how to play an instrument! When we had to use GarageBand to create our podcast I felt quite confident. For the first time, I knew the sofware that we had to use! However, it was not as simple as I thought. It was hard to create a podcast with everyone talking at the same time in the classroom and I did not understand how to cut and paste what I wanted. My first podcast was a disaster.

However, when we had to create our digital story I was happy to have another chance at understanding how to use GarageBand to create a Podcast. I sat alone in my studio, took the time to play with all the applications and... Abracadabra! My podcast was a success!

The application is not aimed at professional musicians, but is intended to help amateurs produce music easily. Which is what I like about it. I would happily use it with my students, as if I understand it, I am sure that all of my future  students would be great at it...

                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment