Thursday 7 April 2011

Wiki Wiki

                                                                                   Wikis' mystery
(Class+ reading)
 
Last year we were asked to go on UTS online and create a wiki. A wi...what? I had no idea what it meant. After a few attempts, I just decided that creating a wiki was too hard for me. This year, in PE3, we are asked to create a wiki...again. So this time I have decided to tackle the problem seriously...
Firstly I have watch a video on youtube to help me understand what wikis were with simple words...


Secondly, I have read the article "Wild about Wikis" by David jakes (2006). He explains that wikis enable anyone and everyone to create, for free, content online using easy tools. I learnt that wikis were actually used by eBay and Wikipedia! It is very easy to access and understand. A user begins a wiki on a particular subject and invites others to participate in creating content using an interface that is similar to Microsoft Word. It has many educational benefits - in classrooms, profesional development and adminitrative uses. There are some very useful websites like WikiMatrix, Blackboard and Moodle. There are sample tools that schools can consider like : PBwiki, Wikispaces, Editme, WetPaint and MediaWiki.   
Now, I understand what wikis are and will be ready to use them with my students. Happy times.
                                

No comments:

Post a Comment